SUPPORTED PROJECTS/GRANTEES (FY2020-FY2022):
2020 Maine Juvenile Justice System Assessment
‐ Report by the Center for Children’s Law and Policy (CCLP).
- COVID‐19 Immediate Response Fund/Regional Care Teams – Initiative administered by MDOC in cooperation with USM’s Cutler Institute and the Center for Youth Policy & Law at Maine Law, The Opportunity Alliance, and WINGS) ‐ Dedicated resources to support youth in community and reduce use of confinement. https://placemattersmaine.org/regional‐care‐teams/
- School Crisis Response – Program administered by Maine Inside Out to work with Lewiston Middle School and other community partners to reduce suspensions and expulsions.
- Youth Led Justice – Support to build capacity and serve more youth in their diversion program.
- Tree Street Youth – Support for a cultural engagement mentor to reach families in the community before encountering the juvenile justice system as part of collaboration with MDOC.
- Strategies for Youth – Presentation at 2021 School Safety Summit on best practice MOUs for police and school systems.
- Carter Development Group ‐ Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Bias training for the JJAG Board.
- Mindbridge – Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Bias training to all MDOC employees working with youth at Long Creek Youth Development Center, JCCOs and contractors working in LCYDC.
- SMART MOVES (Skills, Mastery, and Resilience Training); SMART GIRLS; Passport to Manhood, Healthy Habits, Positive Action, Triple Play; Be There, Healthy Relationships Workshop – Evidenced Based Program taught by the Boys and Girls Clubs of Border Towns to the Mi’kmaq, Maliseet and Spiyak tribes in Maine.
- Youth Network/Young People’s Caucus at USM ‐ Programming to support youth engagement and youth‐adult partnerships within systems and on issues that impact youth and young adults and the development of youth leadership skills to foster participation in agency and organizational boards, including the JJAG.
- National Indian Youth Summit (2022) – Provided funds for 5 adult tribal council members and 6 youth tribal council members to attend a national summit and learn from other tribes about strategies and interventions that they can bring back to help their own tribes. Mi’kmaq, Maliseet and Spiyak tribes were represented.
- Pending funding: Grant to BIPOC, Immigrant and Refugee community-based organizations working with youth.
PAST SUPPORTED PROJECTS/GRANTEES (FY2016-FY2020):
Aroostook Band of Mi’kmaqs
‐ Cultural Recovery program.
- University of Southern Maine Muskie School of Public Service
- Place Matters Reports and Asset Mapping for Maine Communities Project (GAP analysis)
- Collateral Consequences of Juvenile Records in Maine Report
- School Based Policing in Maine Report
- Disproportionate Minority Contact assessment and data analysis
- Stop Trafficking US ‐ Keeping Maine Kids Safe Conference to prevent child sexual abuse.
- Restorative Justice Institute of Maine ‐ Direct service restorative justice programming.
- Learning Works ‐ Restorative justice training.
- Maine Youth Court ‐ Expansion of programming to Lewiston/Auburn.
- Westbrook Police Department ‐ Anti‐bias training for law enforcement.
- Town of Paris Fire Department ‐ Juvenile Fire Safety Program.
- Town of Oxford Fire Department ‐ Oxford County Juvenile Fire Safety Program.
- Urban Institute ‐ Assessment of Maine’s juvenile justice related data capacity.
- Long Creek Youth Development Center Conditions Assessment ‐ Audit by the CCLP.
- An Initiative to Develop a Sustainable Restorative Juvenile Justice System ‐ Report by Community Justice Network of Vermont and continued support for a state wide Juvenile Restorative Justice Council.
- Maine Juvenile Restorative Justice Council ‐ Contract with BUILD to establish the Council and provide on‐ going support.
- Maine Sheriff’s Association ‐ Support for School Resource Officer Summit.
- Learning Works ‐ Purchase of transportation van for youth programs in Cumberland and York Counties
- Maine Inside Out – Performing arts and support group for formerly confined youth.
- My Life My Choice – Sexual exploitation prevention program in Lewiston.
- Aroostook County Action Program ‐ Support for education on ACEs (Adverse Childhood Experiences).
- Passamaquoddy Tribe ‐ Language and heritage programs.
- Maliseet Tribe ‐ Cultural support for youth.
- Restorative Justice Institute of Maine ‐ Restorative Justice services in 13 Maine communities.
- Tree Street Youth ‐ Longley Pilot School Program in Lewiston.
- Old Orchard Beach Police Department ‐ Juvenile Community Review Board (restorative justice program).
- Maine Coalition for the Advancement of Child and Adolescent Mental Health ‐ Assessment of child and adolescent psychiatric services in Maine.
- Collaborative for Perpetual Innovation ‐ Creating Positive Climate for Youth annual Maine conference.
- Understanding Adolescent Brain Development and the Impact of Trauma ‐ Karen Williams, MSSW, presentation for juvenile justice professionals.
- Mindbridge ‐ Maine Human Rights Summit.
- G.E.A.R. Parenting Network ‐ Maine delegation presented work being done in Maine at Florida conference.
- Strategies for Youth ‐ “Policing the Teen Brain” Training for law enforcement throughout Maine.
- Aroostook County Community Action ‐ Restorative justice programming.
- New England Council on Crime and Delinquency ‐ Support for Maine conference.
- Youth Justice in Maine: Imagine a New Future ‐ Support for Maine conference.
- Center for Perpetual Innovation ‐ Support for Maine conference.